Skip to main content View Site Map

Forms and Applications


Application for Area of Emphasis. This form must be submitted every semester you want to be considered for an Area of Emphasis in Communication Studies.

Area of Emphasis Application

Area of Emphasis Change Form. If you already have an Area of Emphasis in Communication Studies and you want to change your Area of Emphasis please complete this form.

Area of Emphasis Change Form

Minor Declaration (or Removal) in another Field of Study. This form is for accepted Communication Studies Majors only, and is required for any majors wishing to minor in another area of study outside of our department.

Declaration of Outside Minor or Removal of a Minor

Application for Graduation Review. This form must be completed to conduct a review of your graduation requirements. You should complete this form no later than the semester before you intend to complete all degree requirements. Any questions please contact the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Studies Office

Graduation Review Application

Applying to Graduate. To apply for graduation (to receive your diploma), you will need to log into your MIX account. Instructions and deadlines will be sent via e-mail. The application to graduate usually becomes available within the first two weeks of the semester in which you wish to receive your diploma. Check your e-mail regularly for news about the graduation application.

Commencement Ceremony. To participate in the Convocation ceremony, you must RSVP at The University does not require students’ guests to have a ticket for admission to the event. More information about the ceremony can be found online at

Petitions and Requests

Course Overload Petition. This form should be completed when a student wishes to request permission to enroll for more than 19 hours during a semester or for more than 14 hours in a summer.

Course Overload Petition

Open Credit Petition. This petition form may be used to request the application of open credit transfer courses (designated as “000”) or substitute WVU courses to GEC, BS, or Foreign Language requirements. The form may be used only by students graduating from the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences. Approval of this petition is not binding upon any other College or School of West Virginia University.

Open Credit Petition

Request for Dual Degrees. For a student wishing to obtain two baccalaureate degrees by completing a minimum of 158 undergraduate credit hours and meeting all the requirements of both degree programs. Approval of each department and college is required.

Request for Dual Degrees


Seelio: Sharing Student Work

Students enrolled in COMM courses are asked to study the theory and process of human communication so that they can apply this knowledge to understanding real-world issues. As part of this process, COMM students have adopted the Seelio platform – a social media platform that allows students to create an online portfolio of their coursework that is easily accessible to the public. Sharing these portfolios shows the importance of the COMM degree while also giving prospective employees a clear, accurate look at the academic work our students are doing.

Seelio Student Coursework Showcase

Academic Advising

Our advisors are available during the summer, fall and spring semesters during office hours. Check 108 Armstrong Hall, call 304-293-3905, or e-mail an advisor to check office hours for the semester (see below for contact information).

The COMM academic advisors are:

Nikki Loy –
Dr. John Shibley –
Mary Donato –


Request a Mountaineer Intern

Professional Field Experience (PFE) is a key element in the undergraduate COMM curriculum that allows students to gain experience in applying their classroom knowledge to a variety of corporate and organizational environments. Organizations looking for students with an in-depth understanding of communication areas that include (but are not limited to) communication theory, data analysis, health communication, interpersonal communication, organizational communication, and social media/communication technology now have the opportunity to request an intern from the Department of Communication Studies at WVU. Use the form below to read up on our PFE program, and to request a Mountaineer intern today.

Organization Intern Application